I’m not sure why, but whenever summer rolls around people pull the plastic out. Plastic plates, plastic cups, plastic decorations–I just don’t understand. I would suppose the heightened use is due to portability and convenience, but it just doesn’t fly for me.
What I do think of when our days become longer and our weather becomes warmer, is the delicious colour yellow. In celebration of the coming season, I’ve prepared a lemon-garlic chicken with roasted squash.
-1 Whole Chicken
– Lemon cut in Half
-2 Heads of Garlic
-3 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary
– 4 Tbsp Butter
1. Pre-heat over to 475 degrees.
2. Clean whole chicken, washing inside and out. Pull the skin away slightly over the breasts.
3. Salt and pepper chicken to taste.
4. Cut one head of garlic in half horizontally, place in chicken cavity along with one sprig of rosemary and one half of lemon.
5. Zest lemon, mince 5 cloves of garlic, place zest, garlic and 2 springs of rosemary in bowl with melted butter. Mix and pour over chicken, covering the entire bird. Spread some of the mixture in between the skin and meat.
6. Cook for 30 minutes to brown skin.
7. Lower heat to 375 degrees and cook for another hour or until bird is cooked thoroughly.
8. Squeeze lemon over top of chicken when done.
I also made a rhubarb sauce to add a little sweet to dinner. It’s simply two stalks of rhubarb cut up and cooked in a small amount of water until soft. Add half the juice of lemon, some cinnamon to taste and a packet of Truvia.
Here is a happy pic of our pup Saturnine finally settling down for the night. He loves the longer days and never seems to tire running around the house or yard.